Peach and Nectarine شفتاآلو و شلیل
Seasonal Activities: Winter
(mid December to mid March)
- Pruning. Prune out any dead, diseased or broken branches. Prune off 50% of last year’s wood to thin crop and ensure good shoot growth and fruiting in future years. Early varieties are pruned more severely than later-maturing varieties, which can retain more fruit.
- Remove and destroy all dried fruit hanging on tree branches.
- Pest Management. Spray with dormant oil in late winter (just prior to bud break) if San Jose scale, mites or aphids are a recurring problem. Apply thorough coverage of the tree, including the trunk. To control leaf curl, spray two applications of Bordeaux oil, lime sulfur or fixed copper. Apply the first application in mid-November and the second in early February, during bud swell but before the buds show any color.
Problems and Opportunities
- Priority problems for Afghanistan Peaches and Nectarines include: orchard establishment and planting, , , waterlogging of rootstock and rootstock selection, postharvest handling, green peach aphid, western flower thrips (nectarines), peach leaf curl, shothole borer, and bacterial canker.
- Priority opportunities include: improved transport infrastructure, ANNGO nursery certification program, PHDP cultivar testing, improved grafting and rootstock selection, aphid and shothole control through a dormant oil, and Bordeaux spray.
These draft priority problems and opportunities are based on feedback from agricultural consultants, ANNGO staff and Aziz Saeedi.
- Peach Crop Calendar Fact Sheet (California Backyard Gardener)
For certified sapling contact PHDP (Perennial Horticulture Development Project)
- PHDP Varietal Selection and Production (excerpt), دری (Dari) (9.9 MB) and پشتو (Pashto) (9.8 MB) (ANNGO Catalog 2013, PHDP/EU)
- National Nursery Growers' Association Locations and Contacts PDF (ANNGO Catalog 2013, PHDP/EU)
- Intercropping Fact sheet (UC Davis)
- Pruning and Training (UC Davis)
- Fruit Tree Thinning Fact Sheet (UC Davis) and Video English/ (10.8 MB) (ANHDO) (Pashto)
- General Pruning Manual پشتو (Pashto)
- Water Management
- Irrigation of Perennial Crops (1.7 MB) (Roots of Peace)
- Principals of Irrigation of Trees and Vines PPT as PDF (2.8MB) and Dari (دری) (4.6 MB) (UC Davis)
- Drip Irrigation (11.7MB) (IDE)
- Pollination (example using almond) Fact Sheet English and Dari (دری) (UC Davis)
- Production by Province Interactive Map (UC Davis)
- Cultivated Area by Province Interactive Map (UC Davis)
Pest Management for Peaches and Nectarines
- See Pest Identification Cards and general Pest Management Page
- Nursery Weed Management Fact Sheet English and Dari (دری) (UC Davis for Roots of Peace)
- 10 Principles of Postharvest Management Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Principles of GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Example of Standards (Fresh Spec)
- General Postharvest Page