Seasonal activities: Winter
(mid December through mid March)
- Tree management.
- Pruning. Prune trees by thinning out crowded areas to let light into whole tree.
- Remove broken, dead branches.
- Pest management. Spray trees with dormant oil to control scale insects, if needed.
Priority problems and opportunities for walnuts are not yet confirmed.
- About Walnuts Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Walnut Crop Calendar Fact Sheet (for California-like conditions) (California Backyard Orchard)
- Intercropping Fact sheet (UC Davis)
- Nitrogen Budget for Walnuts Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Fertilization Fact Sheet (IFA)
- Principals of Irrigation of Trees and Vines PPT as PDF (2.8MB) and (Dari) دری (4.6 MB) (UC Davis)
- See Pest Identification Cards and general Pest Management Page
- Nursery Weed Management Fact Sheet English and (Dari) دری (UC Davis for Roots of Peace)
- Harvest and Postharvest Video and Video Notes (UC Davis)
- 10 Principles of Postharvest Management Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) Fact Sheet (UC Davis for Roots of Peace)